Browse Recipes By Products:
Bourbon-Mango Pulled Pork
This recipe was the second place entry for the 2012 Wisconsin Pork Association's Mouthwatering Pork competition at the Wisconsin State fair. Recipe submitted by Susan Olson - Milwaukee, WI.
- 2 mangos
- 1 - 4lb. pork shoulder roast
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 ounce (jigger) bourbon whiskey
- 2 - 12 ounce bottles of BBQ sauce
- Peel the mangos and remove pits. Place the pits into the slow cooker, then roughly chop the mango and set aside.
- Place the pork shoulder into the cooking vessel and season with black pepper, salt, and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Add the balsamic vinegar and water to the cooking vessel.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the meat is tender. Once done, discard the cooking liquid and mango pits, then shred the pork.
- While the pork is cooking puree the chopped mango in a blender until smooth then pour into a sauce pan along with the whiskey and remaining chili powder.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in BBQ sauce and remove from heat.
- Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and add the mango BBQ sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook for 1 to 2 hours or until the pork absorbs the BBQ sauce. Serve on buns, rolls or bread.