Browse Recipes By Products:
French Onion Soup
Caramelized onions give a touch of sweetness to this popular soup, topped with toasted cheese bread. Thank you to the slow cooker, it's an easy version of a classic.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced (optional)
- 2 medium Vidalia onions, sliced ¼” thick
- 2 medium white onions, sliced ¼” thick
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 6- 10 to12oz. cans beef broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 8 to 10 slices French bread
- 8 to 10 slices gruyere cheese or a mix of gruyere and mozzarella cheese
- Place the West Bend® 5 Qt. Versatility Cooker's cooking vessel on the stovetop. Add butter to cooking vessel and turn stovetop on to medium heat. Once butter is soft, add garlic, shallot if desired, and onions. After the onions caramelize, add salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover; heat for 20 minutes, allowing the onions to become tender. Return cooking vessel to heating base and heat on low heat. Add the broth and bay leaves to the cooking vessel. Cover and cook for 5-7 hours or until the onions are tender. Before serving, remove the bay leaves. Preheat oven broiler.
- Arrange bread slices on a baking sheet in a single layer. Cover the bread with cheese and broil until the cheese becomes light brown and bubbly. Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with cheesy slices of bread.
Makes 8-10 servings.