Browse Recipes By Products:
Split Pea Soup
This hearty classic is a great dish to make, whether a beginner or more experienced cook, it is easy and inexpensive.
- 1 pound dried green split peas
- 1 ½ pounds pork hocks or ham bone with meat
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 quarts water
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ teaspoon allspice
- Wash and sort peas. Combine peas and all remaining ingredients in slow cooking pot. Cover and cook at Setting # 3 for 7 to 9 hours or at Setting # 5 for 4 to 5 hours until peas and vegetables are tender.
- Remove hocks or ham bone from soup and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, puree soup, in batches, in blender or food processor. Return soup to cooking pot. Remove meat from bones and return to soup. Discard bones. Cover and heat 15 to 20 minutes at Setting # 5 until hot. Reduce heat to Setting # 2 for serving.
- Makes 6 servings.