Browse Recipes By Products:
New England Clam Chowder
- 4 slices bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 - 6 ½ ounce cans chopped clams, drained, reserve liquid
- 3 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ½ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 - 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- Fry bacon and onion in West Bend slow cooking pot (or skillet) on top of range unit over medium heat. Slowly add flour, stirring constantly until smooth. Add reserved clam liquid and water, stirring to blend. Transfer cooking pot to base using hot pads or pour mixture from skillet into slow cooking pot.
- Add potatoes, chicken bouillon, celery, salt, marjoram, basil and pepper. Stir to blend. Cover and cook at setting #3 (low) for 7 to 9 hours or at setting #5 (high) for 3 to 4 hours.
- Increase heat to setting #5 (high). Add clams, half and half and evaporated milk to chowder, stirring to blend. Cover and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until heated through. Reduce heat to setting #2 (low) for serving.