Browse Recipes By Products:
Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup soy milk
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place asparagus and onion in a West Bend® Electronic Versatility Cooker with ½ cup vegetable broth. Bring the broth to a boil by placing the slow cooker pot on the stove. When boiling, return to the heating base and simmer on low setting until the vegetables are tender.
- Reserve a few asparagus tips for garnish. Place remaining vegetable mixture in an electric blender and puree until smooth.
- Melt butter at HI temperature in the slow cooker that was used for simmering the asparagus and onions. Stir while sprinkling flour, salt, and pepper into the butter. Do not let the flour brown. Cook mixture to for 2 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1¼ cups vegetable broth and increase the heat. Continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Stir the vegetable puree and milk into the slow cooker.
- Whisk yogurt into the mixture, followed by lemon juice. Stir until heated through, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with reserved asparagus tips. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.
yield: 4 servings