Browse Recipes By Products:
Wisconsin Pork and Sweet Potato Spiral
This was the 1st place recipe from the 2011 Wisconsin Pork Association's "Mouthwatering Wisconsin Pork - Slow Cooked to Perfection" Contest.
- 1 large (2 lbs) sweet potato
- 1 medium sized tart apple
- 2 lbs boneless pork sirloin roast
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- coarse sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup apple juice
- ¼ cup light agave syrup
- spinach leaves for garnish
- ½ cup light agave syrup
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into 1 inch size slices.
- Peel and core the apple and cut into 1 inch slices.
- Put sweet potato in steamer and steam on the stove until near tender. Add apple slices and steam until they are near tender.
- Drain potatoes and apples and pour into bowl.
- Add ½ tsp fresh ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 2 tablespoons butter and coarsely mix and mash the potato/apple mixture.
- On a separate cutting board, slice the pork roast lengthwise almost in half and then lay it open.
- With a tenderizing mallet, pound the pork until it is only ½ to ¾ inch thick (turning meat over a couple of times as you pound). You should have about a 12-15 inch long by 3-4 inch wide piece of tenderized meat when you are finished.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cinnamon evenly over the meat on one side. Grate ½ teaspoon fresh nutmeg over the meat and sprinkle 1 teaspoon ginger evenly over the meat.
- Grind coarse sea salt and black pepper evenly over the meat to taste.
- Layer the cooled mashed sweet potato/apple mixture evenly over the meat but keep about an inch away fro all edges.
- Carefully roll the meat up into a spiral. (If one end is wider than the other, start at the narrow end and roll towards the wider end.)
- Place the pork in the slow cooker.
- Mix 1 cup of apple juice with ¼ cup light agave syrup and pour over and around meat.
- Slow cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove pork spiral from slow cooker and place on platter and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix agave syrup, cornstarch, and apple juice together and heat on the stove until it thickens.
- Place spiral on platter garnished with spinach leaves. Pour sauce over the pork spiral.
- Serve and enjoy!