Browse Recipes By Products:
Boston Baked Beans
Who can resist this wonderful comfort food from the past? Sweet with just a bit of tang.
- 4 cups dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ pound salt pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans, water, salt, onion, and salt pork into slow cooking pot. Cover and cook at Setting # 3 for 14 to 15 hours or overnight until beans are tender. Cooking time of beans can be reduced by precooking methods as follows: Place beans and water in slow cooking pot. Place pot on range top and bring to boil over medium heat. Boil 2 minutes. Transfer cooking pot to heating base using hot pads.
- Add salt, onion, and salt pork, stirring to blend. Cover and cook at Setting # 3 for 3 to 4 hours until beans are tender.
- Drain beans, reserving 2 cups of liquid. Return beans to cooking pot.
- In bowl combined reserve bean liquid with remaining ingredients. Pour over beans and stir to blend. Cover and cook at Setting # 3 for 3 to 4 hours. Reduce heat to Setting # 2 for serving.
- Makes 10 to 12 servings.