Browse Recipes By Products:
Wonderful flavor in this German recipe. Gravy has a hint of sweetness. Very tender roast.
1 cup red wine vinegar
½ cup cider vinegar
½ cup red (burgundy) wine
2 medium sized onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon peppercorns
½ cup brown sugar
3 bay leaves
1 - 4 pound chuck, blade, or rump beef roast
2 tablespoon butter or margarine
6 gingersnaps, crushed
1 cup dairy sour cream
- In a saucepan, combine wine vinegar, cider vinegar, red wine, onions, salt peppercorns, brown sugar, and bay leaves. Heat on electric or gas range heating unit over medium heat, just until a boil is reached. (about 3 minutes).
- Put beef in a large bowl. Pour hot marinade mixture over roast. Store covered, in refrigerator, for 24 to 72 hours. Turn roast twice daily.
- Remove roast from marinade and wipe dry with paper toweling. Reserve marinade.
- Preheat pot on range top heating unit over medium heat for 2 minutes. Melt butter or margarine. Add roast and brown 5 minutes per side. Add reserve marinade and bring liquid to a boil. (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Place pot on the electric base and simmer, covered, at Setting #3 ½ (midway between Settings #3 and #4) for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove roast to hot platter and keep warm. Strain marinade liquid and return strained liquid to pot.
- Place pot on electric base and increase heat to Setting #5. Stir in crushed gingersnaps and sour cream. Heat unit liquid just reaches a boil and gingersnaps are dissolved (about 15 minutes). Stir occasionally. While liquid is thickening, thinly slice roast.
- Pour hot gravy over roast.
Makes 8 to 10 servings.