Browse Recipes By Products:
No more standing at the stove for hours stirring your jam so it doesn't burn. Let our bread machine do it for you!
- 5½ cups sugar
- 2 quarts (4 cups, crushed) fresh, ripe strawberries.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (1.75 ounce) box powdered fruit pectin
- ½ teaspoon butter or margarine
- Measure sugar into a separate bowl; set aside
- Wash berries, remove stems and crush with potato masher. Measure out 4 cups
- Place crushed strawberries, lemon juice and powdered fruit pectin in mixing bowl; stir to combine. Pour mixture into bread pan and add butter or margarine to help prevent foaming during cooking.
- Lock pan into bread maker and close cover. Program for jam and start machine. Set separate time for 35 minutes as a reminder to add sugar. When mixture begins to bubble around edge, open cover and carefully add sugar, 1 cup at a time, stirring with a long handled wooden spoon after each addition. Be very careful not to spill sugar into oven chamber.
- Continue to stir occasionally with wooden spoon, scraping sides of pan to help dissolve sugar. Avoid splashing or spilling as mixture will be VERY HOT.
- When cycle is complete, turn bread maker off and carefully remove bread pan using hot pads. Set bread pan onto heat resistant surface.
- Skim off any foam; discard. Using a ladle, carefully pour hot jam into clean, heatproof containers and cover. Refrigerate or freeze jam immediately. Do not store jam at room temperature.
Makes about 7 cups (3½ pints)