Browse Recipes By Products:
The following recipe should be made on the Dough setting.
- 1 cup Water, 80°F
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ tablespoons butter or margarine, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast -or-
- 1½ teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 3 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Add liquids to the bread pan first, then dry ingredients. Level the dry ingredients; quarter the butter or margarine and add to the corners.
- Make an impression in the center of the dry ingredients and add the yeast. Close the lid, select Dough setting.
- After dough is formed and breadmaker shuts off, remove the dough from the bread pan and place into a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- After the dough is cooled, remove from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a ½ inch thick rectangle.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal sections, roll each piece into a ball and punch a hole through the center with your finger.
- Stretch the hole until it is about 1-2 inches in diameter.
- Place formed bagels onto a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Brush lightly with cold water, cover and set in a warm, draft free room to rise until they have doubled in size.
- Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil in a 5 qt dutch oven. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Reduce heat to low and carefully add 2-3 bagels to hot water.
- Let simmer for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, drain, then place on the greased baking sheet about an inch apart.
- Sprinkle with garnish, if desired, and bake bagels in a preheated 450°F (232°C) oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.