Browse Recipes By Products:
Traditional French Bread
Shape dough into a traditional shaped loaf and bake in your own oven.
- 9 ounces (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) water, 75-85°F
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1½ teaspoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast - or -
- 1½ teaspoons bread machine/fast rising yeast
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- *Poppy or Sesame seeds for garnish
- Add liquid ingredients and butter to bread pan.
- Add all dry ingredients, except yeast, to bread pan. Tap pan to settle dry ingredients and then level, pushing some of them into the corners. Lock pan into bread maker.
- Make an indentation in center of dry ingredients fill with yeast.
- Select desired setting. Program timer, if necessary. Turn bread maker on. When dough is done, turn breadmaker off and unlock and remove the bread pan. Place dough on floured surface. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Roll dough into a rectangular, about 15 x 10 inches. Roll dough up tightly on long side, seal and taper ends. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in warm, draft- free place for 45 to 55 minutes or until nearly double in size. With sharp knife, make 3 or 4 1/4-inch deep diagonal cuts on top of loaf. Combine egg white with water and brush mixture on top of loaf. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds if desired or leave plain.
- Bake in preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.
Makes 1 large loaf.